Finding Yourself in the Psalms
A Psalm to Celebrate God’s Deliverance
Setting possibly Hezekiah’s victory over the Assyrians
Paired with Psalm 75
“Psalm 75 prepares the way for God’s deliverance. 76 Celebrates the deliverance as
having taken place.” (Scrogie)
When God delivers – CELEBRATE!
FEASTS of ISRAEL
PASSOVER Deliverance FIRST FRUITS Celebration PENTECOST Celebration of Harvest DAY of ATONEMENT Sacrifice TABERNACLES Remember wandering
DEDICATION (lights) Deliverance – (ded of Temple) PURIM Deliverance from Haman
5 of 7 Feasts!
Celebration of our Salvation
I. God Delivers His Children. 76:1-6
A. Note “Judah, Israel, Salem”
B. God has a special people. 1 Peter 2:10 "Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."
C. 76:3 is a reference to the victory
D. Note the 2nd person used throughout (v. 4, 7)
1. We should speak to the Lord
2. Psalm 96:2-3 “Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. 3)Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples."
II. God Defends His Children. 76:7-10
A. He is POWERFUL (we should fear him) v 7
B. He is PROTECTIVE (we should flock to Him) v 8-9
The Lord HEARS us when we cry
1. Psalm 6:9 The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer."
2. Psalm 28:6 Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy.
3. Psalm 31:22 In my alarm I said, “I am cut off from your sight!” Yet you
heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help."
4. Psalm 40:1 I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry."
5. Psalm 116:1 I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy."
C. He is PURPOSEFUL (we should follow Him) v 10
1. Even man’s sinful anger can accomplish God’s purposes
2. How does man’s wrath bring God glory?
3. “Man’s futile wrath will bring you glory. You will use it as an
ornament!” (The Liv Bible)
a. Pharaoh’s wrath – Israel’s deliverance
b. Haman’s wrath – Israel’s deliverance
c. MAN’s WRATH against CHRIST- Our deliverance Acts 2:23 “This man was handed over to you by God’s set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross."
III. God Deserves our Worship. 76:11-12
A. Make vows
B. Psalm 50:14 "14)Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most
C. New Years. Vows to the Lord