Finding Yourself in the Psalms
A Psalm of Strength for Persecuted Believers
Key verse 59:4
I. Suffering for the Sake of Righteousness. 59:1-4
A. Those who “suffer for righteousness” will be blessed. Mat 5:10-12
1. The persecuted receive a GOOD WORD. “Blessed”
2. The persecuted enjoy GOOD COMPANY. 5:12 – “in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”
a. Hebrews 11:35-38
3. The persecuted look forward to a GREAT REWARD. 5:10 “for theirs
is the kingdom of heaven.”
B. There is a reward for “unjust suffering” 1 Peter 2:19-20
II. The Difference between Suffering, Punishment and Trials.
A. SUFFERING = suffering for righteousness. 1 Peter 2:19-20
B. PUNISHMENT = consequences of doing wrong.
C. TRIALS= the difficulties common to living in a sin cursed world.
III. The Proper Response to Suffering
A. Not to return evil for evil
1. “Entrusted himself to him who judges justly.” 1 Peter 2:23
2. (Romans 12:17) "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody."
3. “Turn the other cheek” (Mat 5:39-42)
a. The Jewish law provided for retribution
b. Jesus gives a higher law in relation to “an evil person”
B. Confidence in GOD
1. Confidence in PRAYER. Psalm 59:1,2
2. Confidence in God’s POWER. 8 references to God’s Strength
a. 59:5. “O Lord God Almighty” JEHOVAH Sabaoth – GOD of the ARMIES of HEAVEN
b. 59:9. “My strength”Hebrew, strength, fortress
c. 59:9 “My fortress” = NATURAL fortress, refuge, i.e., an inaccessible, secure place possibly up high in rim-rock where one may dwell or reside, with a focus on safety and security of the area (DBL Hebrew). (Isaiah 33:16) "this is the man who will dwell on the heights, whose refuge will be the mountain fortress. His bread will be supplied, and water will not fail him."
d. 59:16. “Strength” (same as 59:9)
e. 59:16 “Fortress” “A fortified wall or high tower” MAN Made f. 59:16 “Refuge” A place of escape.
g. 59:17 “Strength” same as 9, 16
C. Confidence in Gods PROGRAM. 59:11-13
1. Let the wicked continue as an example to the righteous
2. Punish them
a. Let them suffer for their own sins
b. Let them be caught in the consequence of their words (59:12)
IV. For US
A. Suffering for righteousness
B. Be Like Jesus